Monday, April 20, 2009

personal interview

i decided to interview my mom because she inspired my thesis and she's always getting on me when i use technology to do my homework. Interviewed her on Sunday 4/19/09 5:30pm

Me: Do you believe the youth of this generation has become too dependent on technology?

Mom: Yes because some kids can't even do anything without a computer and its sad.

Me: Why is it sad?

Mom: Because when i was in school, we didn't even have computers. We had to do everything in our head.

Me: Does that still benefit you to this day?

Mom: yes it does, i can still do chemistry calculations in my head, i still memorize formulas from my geometry years, and i am able to attain information quicker and faster than most of 
my coworkers that have grown up in the U.S.

Me: Wow, do you think children should be taught the way you were taught?

Mom: Of course its great that kids are lucky enough to have a calculator do their calculations for them, but its sad when i see kids use their calculators for easy arithmetic problems.

Me: What do you  mean?

Mom: For example, i asked a patient of mine, how old he who was 10 and his brother who was 18 put together was, and he answered he didn't have his calculator.
Thats why when i was teaching you times tables i never let you use a calculator which is why you can zip through problems like that with a breeze.

Me: True. What do you think would be the best solution?

Mom: I think that to a certain age, maybe high school, children should not be allowed to use calculators. It benefits their minds as well as their academics. What harm would it due to teach a child to use their brain then their fingers? I also had to hand write all of my essays, i didn't have Microsoft Word to tell me which words were spelled incorrectly and how my fragments should be put together. I also believe that the more a child uses their brain and hands to do the work, the less dependent they are if anything is to ever happen to their technological advances they have been lucky enough to access.

No comments:

Post a Comment